I initially wanted to join the annual Book Kaleidoscope again just like last year, but then I changed my mind and decided to join the fun on Jamie's annual end of year book survey :D
1. Best book you read in 2013?
Well I CANNOT mention just one!
Golden, Inferno, Me Before You, Eleanor & Park, Stolen, Tangled, These Broken Stars. I also reread Where She Went and On the Jellicoe Road, both my all-time favorites. For locals (Eventhough I hardly read them this year!) my vote goes to Pulang and Melbourne: Rewind.
2. Books you were excited about and thought you were going to love more but didn't?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book you read in 2013?
Mara Dyer series! I honestly thought the books were pure contemporary with a little dash of horror (I know, silly me!), so I was surprised when the story got to the paranormal part, haha, but I loved it!
4. Books you read that you recommend to people most in 2013?
Me Before You and Eleanor & Park. You haven't read those? You're missing BIG THINGS!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
I don't think I read that many series this year (I stick to standalones & companions) and I'm kinda embarassed to admit this, but I enjoyed the Crossfire trilogy by Sylvia Day a lot more than I initially thought I would!
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2013?
Jessi Kirby! And perhaps Emma Chase, too.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or a new genre for you?
I don't usually read horror, mystery, thriller and anything similar to it, and since goodreads categorized Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn as psychological thriller, I'd have to say that one. I love the book! Got it from my secret santa :)
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Inferno and Stolen! Also These Broken Stars. I stayed up until 4 am to read that book.
9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
Amy & Roger's Epic Detour is such a re-readable (?) material. Looove it!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Why BOOK, why not BOOKS? Ugh, this is hard. Though I think this one is the absolute answer.
11. Most memorable character you read in 2013
Beatrice Prior. Her utmost act of bravery & selflessness deserves a lifetime award.
12. Most beautifully written book in 2013
If you're going for the lovely prose, it's of course Unravel Me. Night of Cake and Puppets, too, though it's actually a novella.
13. Book that has the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Golden actually guided me when I had to make the most important decision in my life yet (which was, apparently, choosing college majors) and pushed me to believe that I should prioritize what makes me happy, not what I think will impress people of me :)
14. Books you can't believe you WAITED until 2013 to read?
The Help! It's such a good book but I was initially intimidated by it. After I saw the movie I decided to pick the book and didn't regret it at all!
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013
Gah, I think I have to pass this one. I love quotes and I live for quotes, but there are SOOO MANY good quotes that I've read this year so I don't think I can really thin it out to one!
16. Shortest & longest book you read in 2013?
The Transfer by Veronica Roth (it's a novella) with only 34 pages. The longest was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte with 688 pages (yawn, yawn). But I think if you count Haruki Murakami's 1Q84 (I read the translated edition, which was splitted into three parts, but originally they were one book) it could be the longest with nearly 1000 pages.
17. Book that had a scene in it that had you REELING AND DYING to talk to somebody about it (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss etc etc) Be careful of spoilers!
ALLEGIANT, OF COURSE!ALLLL DA FEELZ.
18. Favorite relationship from a book you read in 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc)
For friendship, I love Eva & Cary's from the Crossfire trilogy. Romance.... Hmmm this is hard so I have to say Mia & Adam's (I reread the book this year, afterall! *winks*) No family in the books I've read this year was fun enough to make me want to be a part of them as much as I wanted to be one of the Garretts from My Life Next Door, so, none.
19. Favorite book you read from an author you've read previously in 2013
Melbourne by Winna Efendi (I know I can always count on her books), Where She Went, Unravel Me.
20. Best book you read in 2013 that SOLELY based on a recommendation from somebody else:
Cheeky Romance by Kim Eun Jeong. There were some LOL moments in the book that had me in tears because I laughed so hard!
21. Genre that you read the most in 2013
Contemporary YA! All my resolutions of reading more genres like fantasy, historical fiction, and nonfiction were forgotten. Well, I read ONE non-fiction though, and some fantasy, so it wasn't a total failure!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Mentioning just ONE is cruel!
Here is my list of 2013 new book boyfriends (Ha!): Tarver Merendsen from These Broken Stars, Park from Eleanor & Park, Levi from Fangirl, Maximilian Prasetya from Melbourne, Henry from Second Chance Summer, and Ryan from Dare You To (my baseball boy!). Warner from Unravel Me is also a new crush since I used to hate him on Shatter Me tee-hee.