October 14, 2012

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Nick and Norah's Infinite PlaylistNick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Title: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Author(s): Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Publisher: Random House Children Book
Year: 2008
Read in Ebook copy

***



Nick is a poor schmuck who just had his heart broken by his ex -and now when he sees the ex coming to the club he's currently in with a new boy, Nick needs a five-minute-fake-girlfriend to show the ex that he's okay (when actually, no he's not). That five-minute-fake-girlfriend is Norah.

This story is told from both Nick and Norah's point of view, and reading their story is exactly like walking into a club full of drunk people: crowded, lots-of-cursing, minds and sentences hopping here and there randomly and fast, sometimes confusing even.

The relationship between Nick&Norah's interesting though, and funny. Both are flirtatious, not wanting to jump quickly into a new relationship after having their heart broken by their ex-es, but at the same time they can't help it to be so attracted to each other.

"This should divert me, but my mind keeps returning to a simple, scary fact: I am liking Norah.
I am liking the way she's friends with Playboygirl Bunnies. I am liking the way she knows how to drive stick. I am liking that I have to earn her smiles and laughs. I am liking the way she kisses me. I am liking the way she seems to be able to get past the past. I could learn from that."

Norah is a likeable character and I love reading the story through her minds. This girl, I don't know, has this quirky way of thinking (but a potty mouth also). She has some insecurity issues from her previous relationship with Tal, and as the night goes Norah keeps wondering how could she suddenly be with Nick; how could Tris dumped this wonderful guy who has written amazing songs for her just like that?

"I'm not that girl who randomly meets a guy one night and has her life changed. I wear cords and flannel shirts. I don't have the killer body like Tris or Caroline. Sometimes I don't wash my hair for three days and sometimes I don't floss. What is this Nick guy doing here with me?"

About Tris, oh Tris, I actually adore that girl. I can't blame Tris for having dumped Nick (because if she didn't, Nick wouldn't have met Norah, right?) or not being able to love Nick the way that boy wants her to be. Norah and Tris's scene in the toilet is actually my favorite part! :))

The story's fast paced with not much complication comes in, so it was a light read. Music plays a big part of it. Though I feel like at some point the story could have ended earlier, but I actually liked how and where the story left us. :)

"Maybe, what we're supposed to do is come together. That's how we stop the breaking."

Tikkun Olam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading this post! I always love to share and discuss thoughts about books or simply reading your comments; they are very much appreciated! I will try to reply every one of them so make sure to check back. ❤